Overview - Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Catering (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
We have introduced a self-print certificate for this course, allowing us to offer it at a reduced cost to you. The course material and learning outcomes are exactly the same, and it is still an accredited City & Guilds certificate.
If you would prefer a premium foil stamped certificate posted to you this is still available for an additional charge.
Try online - Buy online - Learn online - Test online
EU Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs requires Food Businesses to make sure that any staff who handles food are supervised, instructed and trained in Food Hygiene in a way that is appropriate to the work they do.
This module is a self-study course (formerly known as Foundation or Basic Food Hygiene) and maps to the Industry Standards set by People 1st, the Sector Skills Council for the Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism industries. This course is aimed at anyone working in catering or hospitality whether employed or self employed, working in restaurants, hotels, fast food outlets, takeaways, cafes, bars, kitchens, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges. It allows every catering business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
This course is accredited by City & Guilds
- Virtual College are a City and Guilds Accredited centre.
- City and Guilds have accredited our L2 Food Safety and Hygiene certificates
- Our price includes a City and Guilds Accredited Certificate.
- City and Guilds approved quality assurance of our online delivery processes and learner support systems.
- Quality City & Guilds Accredited Certificate carrying authorisation seal.
Upon completion of this online training material learners will sit an online test and on successful completion, will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene meeting the legal training required, which must then be applied to work situations.
The training and test usually take between 2 to 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed), which is equivalent to 6 hours face-to-face group training. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark , and, if necessary, may re-sit the test at no extra cost, having revisited the training material. If you have chosen to have a certificate posted, these are posted 1st class the same day if completed before 12 noon.
Produced by Virtual College in association with Food Safety experts "Food Dialog" a registered Training Centre with the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) we have made every effort to make the training friendly, understandable and as down to earth as possible.
On completion of this course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene practices
- How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based Food Safety Management System
Upon completion of this module learners will have an understanding of a wide range of key food safety issues, including the three main types of food safety hazard, their sources and methods of control. Learners will know the correct temperatures needed for storage and food handling activities from delivery through to sale, and be aware of common food pests and how to control them, along with the principles of cleaning and disinfection and how these apply to the workplace.
The sections covered include:
Anyone handling food and drink within the catering sector must be trained in Food Safety and Hygiene and apply it to their work. This module is aimed at anyone working in a catering or hospitality environment, whether employed or self employed, who handles food and drink as part of their everyday or occasional working routines. Typically this would include people working in hotels, cafes, bars, restaurants, kitchens, fast food outlets, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges.
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness – looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law – food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination – exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control - how to preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene – this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – from hand washing to legal requirements.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment – this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
This course is Accredited by City & Guilds.
Note, this course is an accredited training programme, should you require a full qualification you will be required to undertake an additional assessment by visiting an accredited test centre at an additional cost.
When you have successfully completed your course and attained the 75% required test pass, you will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Certificate. Our Certificates are of extremely high quality and carry an authorisation seal. The certificate should be displayed to show appropriate training has taken place.
Approximately 2-3 hours to complete. As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
This food safety and hygiene module is aimed at anyone working in a role that involves contact with food, or the management of such people; regulations require that anyone involved in food handling must be appropriately trained in food safety. The module can be used either as Induction, Awareness, Refresher and Foundation Training.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Really liked the fact that you could go at your own pace.
Easy to use, simple instructions and liked the interaction sections.
Good audio and visual quality. Well-written and easy to follow instructions and explanations. Good method of summarising and checking learning as you go.
Straight to the point regarding the most vital areas of food safety; no pointless long drawn out information.
Everything was very clear and user friendly
It was easy to work through and not a complicated lay out also the course was laid out well to build on things learned in past modules
I like the fact that it was very easy to follow and understand that much so completed the course in one go and passed the test first time
It was very informative, helped me really retain the knowledge than just reading from a book or just on the internet. My skills on computers are very limited, but i found this course very easy indeed.
I enjoyed the layout and the format, it has really encouraged me.
The content was clearly laid out, and the voice over was perfect as it gave me a break from reading all the time. The challenges were also very useful and relevant for the test.
It was easy to access and follow , I liked the way I could fit it in with other thing I had to do and it gave you enough time to take everything in at your own pace
How it Works
This is a general guide to how the system works; if you want a more detailed guide to how our purchasing and learning works please visit the Four Easy Steps page which should tell you all you need to know.
Alternatively, if you have a specific question or concern why not contact us directly ?
This is an online course, all the training will be taken through your browser window. There will be no face-to-face sessions with instructors nor will you receive any training material through the post. If you wish you may print out any page of the training material and may also print the notes you took during the training.
You can also revisit the training material at any time, even after you have completed the course.
The material for this course has been broken down into several smaller lessons, each lesson dealing with a specific area of the overall subject.
The lesson consists of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk you through the lesson material at a pace that suits you. Pages may also include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help you keep in touch and interested in the material.
Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be PAUSED and RESUMED at any stage. When all lessons in the course have been completed our system will realise and automatically record that you have successfully completed the course
The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can complete the course in stages revisiting the training at any time.