We are currently recruiting for an IT Systems Engineer to work within the IT Infrastructure team ensuring the internal and datacentre IT Infrastructure of the business runs smoothly and efficiently, ensuring systems are running, up to date and fully patched. Responsible for ensuring processes are recorded, followed and monitoring using IT and quality principles. To support staff on IT issues to allow them to work with maximum efficiency and productivity, and to minimise infrastructure outage during working hours.
We are looking for an individual with experience in a similar role who is keen to develop their own skills and grow with the business.
Who are we:
At Virtual College, we create inspiring learning so that people, organisations and communities succeed and flourish. We do this by putting the learner first and sparking their enthusiasm for learning. We believe the most effective way to deliver great results is to make learning meaningful and engaging, using our experience of delivering training to more than 4.5 million learners and a wide range of organisations.
Virtual College is for those who think people first. We want people who are naturally collaborative, who thrive when faced with a challenge and who actively seek variety and responsibility. We are looking for individuals with a growth mindset, who are interested in trying new things and see the merit in redefining how things are done to make improvements. We pride ourselves on our people, and it is these people that make Virtual College a great place to work.
Reporting to the IT Infrastructure and Security Manager your key duties will include, but are not limited to:
- To carry out server administration including setting up of new users, email accounts, groups etc.
- To further own knowledge of VC systems, infrastructure and cloud hosting solutions in general through research and collaboration across the team
- To maintain and evolve internal virtualisation stacks using Hyper-V Core
- To continue driving the business forward in adoption of M365 security tools such as PIM, PAM, MIP so they become normal ways of working with a focus around security and classification of data, users and devices
- To manage storage layers and ensure effective uptime
- To assist in developing and maintaining business continuity, disaster recovery and incident management plans
- To assist in security strategies that ensure customer data is protected through layer 7 devices, SSL certificates, secure ciphers, OWASP top 10 etc.
- To develop more robust identity management technologies to assist in access controls
- To manage the servers and ensure compliance and security adhered to
- To manage the network and monitor its usage ensuring capacity is managed
- To ensure IT policies and procedures are updated in line with changes in infrastructure, practices and standards such as ISO 9001, 27001 and NCSC
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures where they exist, to ensure we keep accurate and up-to-date records in-line with Lean principles
- To stay abreast of emerging technologies and how they may benefit/affect/be implemented within Virtual College
- Monitor systems effectively to identify and be alerted of areas of concern and if possible address before failure
- Maintain documentation detailing current systems configuration
- Ensure all relevant data is backed up and stored securely with a focus on scripting and automation
- Maintain and update firewalls to best protect against intrusion of systems
- Manage WSUS to ensure clients are kept up to date with latest security patches
- To maintain and further develop virtualised environments ensuring a reduced carbon footprint as the company expands
- To manage and develop the email systems to ensure uninterrupted delivery of the core business function
- To identify software needs and install appropriately – approved software list
- To ensure consistent internet delivery to facilitate clients and systems access for work purposes
- To monitor and change when necessary access controls to systems to ensure data at rest is only available to those that are deemed acceptable by senior management
- To work with colleagues across IT to ensure we build and maintain sustainable technology solutions
- To exploit automation and monitoring so that we can drive efficient practices within technology
Qualifications: Relevant qualifications will be considered such as CCNA and MCP.
- Windows Server 2008+
- Exchange 2010+
- SQL 2008+
- Backup Exec 2010+
- VMWare VSphere 5+, Hyper-V
- SAN technologies
- Networking including switching, routing, bridging, etc. – L2-L7
- Office 365, Sharepoint and Dynamics
- Firewall configuration
- Access controls – e.g. NTLM, Kerberos, Office 365
- IIS Management - Excellent trouble-shooting/Problem solving skills
- Customer Service skills
- Able to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (attention to detail)
- Some out of hours work is necessary (a certain degree of autonomy expected)
- Must be able to drive and have own transport
- Ability to transfer knowledge of previous systems and apply to new technologies
- Ability to prioritise workload and manage time effectively
- Manage projects from inception through to completion
- Learning Management System (LMS) Exposure
- Linux experience
- Load balancing
- Strong listening, written and oral communication skills.
- Working within a security framework e.g. ISO27001, Cyber Essentials
- Cloud technologies (Azure and / or AWS)
Minimum 3 years’ experience within a busy IT support environment dealing with modern server/storage technologies as well as desktop and telephony solutions.
- Hours of work covering 37.5 hours (Monday to Friday) including flexible working
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Extensive induction programme and ongoing training and development
- Regular charity and social events organised by our voluntary Sports and Social team for everyone
- Contributory Pension Scheme, Simply Health Cash Plan, Life Assurance and MCard Corporate Discount Card for West Yorkshire travel.
Interested in the role of IT Systems Engineer based in Ilkley, West Yorkshire? Then please apply by submitting your CV and Letter of Application detailing your current salary and why you think you might be suitable. Email to email@example.com. We are an Equality & Diversity employer.