The Level 1 Food Hygiene course is a great way to introduce beginners to food safety. This may include cooking at home, work experience in a food environment, or self-development for those who have an interest in food handling.
Upon completion of this course, learners will understand why food safety is important, the importance of hygiene, and how to avoid contamination.
- Online, self-paced training
- Interactive course with colourful animations
- Complete in two hours
- 24 hour learner support
- Instant digital certificate on completion
Overview - Level 1 Food Safety and Hygiene
Please Note: Level 1 is an introductory course which is not suitable for food handlers. In order to meet legal requirements it is necessary for food handlers to complete the Level 2 (previously known as Basic) Food Safety and Hygiene Course.
This introductory (Level 1) food hygiene course will give you an understanding of the necessary steps to undertake whilst preparing food at home. Whilst not suitable for anyone working directly in a food environment the course may be used as an introduction to the subject for younger children and people with an interest in preparing food safely for a family. As an e-learning course, it is ideal for use in schools, in addition to a regular curriculum.
If you are involved (or are going to be involved) with food preparation in a catering, manufacturing or retail capacity, whether paid or voluntary, you will need to undertake Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene training. Please click here to view all of our food hygiene courses.
Successful completion of this Level 1 Food course will enable you to understand:
- How to keep yourself clean and hygienic
- How to keep your work area clean
- How food becomes contaminated and your role in reducing contamination
The course is divided into sections that cover the following subjects:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used; here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Why Food Safety is important – This section looks at the consequences of poor food safety and hygiene and causes of food borne illness.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination – This section explores contamination of food by food safety hazards; what they are, where and how they arise and the practical activities to prevent and control hazards.
- Personal hygiene – This section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – from cleanliness, thorough hand washing and keeping a clean and tidy appearance.
- Hygienic premises and Equipment – This section looks at the importance of keeping everything clean and tidy, such as good housekeeping, cleaning and maintaining pest free conditions.
All Virtual College e-learning courses can be paused and resumed at any point.
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
This online course is aimed at people who display an interest in the subject area and is suitable for anyone looking to improve their knowledge of food hygiene in a domestic environment.
If you are working with, or intend to work with food, you will need Level 2 Food Hygiene training. For more information on the Level 2 courses available please click on the course titles below:
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Catering (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Manufacturing (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Retail (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need an e-mail address to buy this course?
Yes, you will need an e-mail address to buy this course. This is because we use your e-mail address to create an account for you in our learning management system - where you will take the training. We also need your email address to send your purchase receipt.
If you buy more courses in future using the same e-mail address during checkout, then these will automatically be added to your system account.
If you pay by PayPal, we will use your PayPal email address to create your system account.
Can I buy this course and give it to other people?
Yes, you can buy the training using your own email address and then give it to other learners from your system account.
Each learner will need to have their own email address. This is so that we can send them a link to the training and give them their own system account.
Is there a refund policy?
We want you to be completely satisfied with your training. We offer a 30 day, no hassle, no quibble, money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
To request a refund, you should email our learner support team with your receipt stating why you would like to be reimbursed. You, or your learners, must not complete the training in order to make a valid refund claim.
Will the course work on a tablet or mobile phone?
We recommend using a desktop or laptop for the best learning experience. This course can also be taken on tablet and mobile devices - including iPads and iPhones.
Is a specific internet browser recommended?
For the best possible experience, we recommend learners use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox. Please ensure there are no updates pending on your browser.
How long do learners have to complete a course?
There is no set completion time for this course. Learners can study in their own time at their own speed and may pause, leave and come back to the system to continue the training at any time.
Does the course contain sound?
Yes, this course contains sound. For those without sound on their computer or device, the narration is covered in an optional text box at the bottom of the training.
How long is a Level 1 certificate valid for?
There is no set time for how long a certificate is valid for. This course is an introduction to food hygiene and safety. If you require more in-depth knowledge as a food handler or food supervisor, we have level 2 and level 3 food hygiene courses available.
What is the difference between Level 1, 2 and 3 Food Safety and Hygiene?
An introductory, or Level 1 course will give you the necessary understanding of preparing food at home or for work experience, but is unfortunately not suitable for working directly in a food environment. A Level 3 Food Safety and Hygiene certificate is suitable for those who are responsible for the supervision of other members of staff who are handling, preparing or storing food across manufacturing, catering and retail industries.
A bulk discount structure applies for this course based on the quantity you buy and is calculated automatically during checkout.
- 10% discount on 10 - 49 courses
- 20% discount on 50 + courses
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our sales team on 01943 885 085.