Overview - An Overview of COSHH
The An Overview of COSHH course has been created to provide people at any level, in any sector, with guidance that will help them to work safely with substances that are hazardous to health.
By completing this course you will be meeting your legal obligations and minimising the risk of bad publicity or lawsuits.
Learners will be taught the reasons for COSHH and how to comply with the COSHH regulations.
Why take the An Overview of COSHH course?
- Employers are legally obliged to comply with the COSHH Regulations 2002 and the 2004 amendment.
- Every year, thousands of works become ill because of hazardous substances, contracting cancer, lung diseases such as asthma, and skin diseases such as dermatitis.
- These diseases cost many millions of pounds each year.
On completion of this course learners will be able understand:
- COSHH legislation
- Employer responsibilities under COSHH
- Employee responsibilities under COSHH
- Harmful substances in the work place and their effects
This course is relevant to anybody involved in a working environment.
When you’ve completed this online training you will sit an online test and, once successful, you can download your certificate.
The subjects covered in this module include:
- Introduction to COSHH
- What does COSHH stand for?
- Why bother with COSHH?
- Hazardous Substances
- Where hazardous substances can be found
- Effects of hazardous substances
- Which substances are classed as hazardous under COSHH
- Examples of harmful substances at work
- Is COSHH relevant?
- Identifying the symbols
- Safety data sheets
- Complying with COSHH regulations
- Step 1: Asses the risks
- Step 2: Deciding what precautions are needed
- Step 3: Prevent or adequately control exposure
- Step 4: Ensure that control measures are used and maintained
- Step 5: Monitor exposure
- Step 6: Prepare plans and procedures to deal with accidents, incidents and emergencies
- Step 7: Ensure that employees are properly informed, trained and supervised
- Step 8: Carry out appropriate health surveillance
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to print a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 1 hour. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. The course is self-paced with 36 interactive screens and multiple components. Your progress will be recorded throughout.
This course is suitable for anyone who works in an environment where they need to know about Control of Substances Hazardous to Health.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course, the material is appropriate for all levels. However, the estimated level of audience knowledge is intermediate.
How it Works
This is an online course which is studied via the Virtual College Learning Management System, Enable. All of the training is taken online. The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can also revisit the training material, even after you have completed the course.
Four easy steps to e-learning
Step 1: Find a course
You can buy one or more courses online for yourself or others and, whether you know what you’d like to study or would simply like to browse, finding a course is easy.
Here are some ways you can quickly find the information you need:
- Search for a course using search box
- Click "courses" on the top navigation. This page will show a complete list of courses, ordered by our best sellers and new releases
- Browse courses by category, for example Safeguarding
Step 2: Buy the course
When you've found the course you want simply click on “Add to basket”. You can then continue shopping or check out and make a secure payment via the PayPal payment screen. This allows you to pay with most popular credit or debit cards or your PayPal account, and receive your receipt by email.
All our payments are dealt with by PayPal; one of the world’s most well-known payment providers – Great Britain’s no 1 preferred online and mobile payment method, so you can be sure that your payment will be safe and secure. Here at Virtual College we never even get to see your credit card details!
Once your purchase has gone through you will be able to continue to a login screen. Enter your name and create a password if prompted. This will log you into our Learning Management System (LMS) where you will be able to take the course or allocate it to other people.
You can purchase more than 10 courses online, however if you wish to purchase more than 10 courses, and you would like to be invoiced in advance, you can e-mail us on email@example.com or contact our sales team on 01943 885 085.
Step 3: Take the course
For the best possible internet browser experience we recommend you use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox.
You will get a better learner experience if you have sound enabled. Most computers come with built-in speakers, but the narration will generally be written in text on the screen for you to read if you don't have sound turned on.
The course is interactive and you may need to click on parts of the screen before you can advance. This will be obvious as the narration and text will tell you what to do or the links will pulse and flash. The system will remember where you left off and take you back there, but you can go over any part of it as many times as you want to and take as long as you want.
You can write your own notes for the course and print them off or simply store them to access later any time you view your course.
When you get to the end, you will be presented with an assessment to check your understanding. Don't worry; in most cases you can take this assessment three times at no extra cost, and we have policies and procedures in place for adding further attempts.
Step 4: Your certificate
You will be able to print your own certificate at the end of the course.
Some courses also include the option of a high-quality posted certificate, for example our Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene courses.
A bulk discount structure applies for this course based on the quantity you buy and is calculated automatically during checkout.
- 10% discount on 10 - 49 courses
- 20% discount on 50 + courses
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our sales team on 01943 885 085.