This course covers the legal requirement relevant to anybody involved in the recruitment of people who work with children, young people or vulnerable adults.
This Safer Recruitment training course considers statistics relating to safer recruitment, the background to the introduction of the more robust safer recruitment processes, and the precautions you can put in place to recruit safely.
- Online, self-paced training
- Interactive course with colourful animations
- Complete in one to two hours
- 24 hour learner support
- CPD certified training
- Digital certificate on completion
Safeguarding children is everyone’s responsibility. Upon completion, learners will be able to ensure they can recruit safely for roles that involve working directly with, or in an environment with children.
Why take this course?
This online course will provide learners with the training they require to recruit staff safely. Learners will understand the importance of safer recruitment in an environment with children, and be able to undertake necessary procedures to ensure this safety at all times.
On completion of this course, learners will know the background behind the safer recruitment process and understand why this was introduced, learners will be able to recognise relevant guidance and legislation relating to safer recruitment practise, and then they will be able to assess and recruit suitable candidates.
- An introduction to safer recruitment
- Recruitment pre-2004, including the Bichard Inquiry and the Soham timeline
- Legislation and guidance
- Safer recruitment from September 2012
- Regulated activity, criminal records, the barring scheme (PoFA 2012) and DBS checks
- Recruiters, guidance notes and references
- Job and person specifications, application forms, advertising, references and interviews
- Shortlisting, conditional employment offers and inductions, supervision and training new staff
- This training material will provide learners with the key legislative information they require to be able to recruit safely in a workplace with children
- Learners will understand the recruitment process before 2004, and study key cases that changed how recruitment changed to reflect safeguarding including the Soham timeline and the Bichard inquiry
- This course explores the legislative information involving recruitment involving the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 (SVGA 2006), Clarifications to the SVGA 2006 and PoFA 2012 relationship, and the new vetting criminal records ad barring service
- Learners will then learn about what happened with safer recruitment from September 2012. This involves a new definition of regulated activity, the repeal of registration and continuous monitoring, the minimum age limit for DBS checks, the rigorous relevancy test, and the role of the recruiter in this process
- Learners will be able to understand and develop the best practice for recruitment including guidance notes, how to write job application forms, candidate advertising and creating an equal opportunities policy
- Learners will understand how to shortlist candidates, the checks they need to conduct before the interview, how to interview selected candidates, what conditional offers of employment are, inductions, training and the supervision of new staff to ensure safety
The content of this course is certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Approximately 1 - 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You do not have to complete all the training in one session. Your progress will be recorded throughout.
Test and certificate
The end of course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test three times at no extra cost.
If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need an e-mail address to buy this course?
Yes, you will need an e-mail address to buy this course. This is because we use your e-mail address to create an account for you in our learning management system - where you will take the training. We also need your email address to send your purchase receipt.
If you buy more courses in future using the same e-mail address during checkout, then these will automatically be added to your system account.
If you pay by PayPal, we will use your PayPal email address to create your system account.
Can I buy this course and give it to other people?
Yes, you can buy the training using your own email address and then give it to other learners from your system account.
Each learner will need to have their own email address. This is so that we can send them a link to the training and give them their own system account.
Is there a refund policy?
We want you to be completely satisfied with your training. We offer a 30 day, no hassle, no quibble, money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
To request a refund, you should email our learner support team with your receipt stating why you would like to be reimbursed. You, or your learners, must not complete the training in order to make a valid refund claim.
Will the course work on a tablet or mobile phone?
We recommend using a desktop or laptop for the best learning experience. This course can also be taken on tablet and mobile devices - including iPads and iPhones.
Is a specific internet browser recommended?
For the best possible experience, we recommend learners use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox. Please ensure there are no updates pending on your browser.
How long do learners have to complete a course?
There is no set completion time for this course. Learners can study in their own time at their own speed and may pause, leave and come back to the system to continue the training at any time.
Does the course contain sound?
Yes, this course contains sound. For those without sound on their computer or device, the narration is covered in an optional text box at the bottom of the training.
This course is currently on sale with a discounted price of 30 per cent for a limited time only!