Food for Thought - How Sustainable and Environmentally Ethical is your Food Business
Thank you for taking our sustainbility quiz. If you’d like to improve your businesses sustainability or confirm you are environmentally ethical take a look at our answers below.
Not taken the quiz yet? Click here to try.
Do you ask about allergies before you order?
When preparing food, what is your approach to creating portions?
- Answer: A - I judge each portion by eye so they’re roughly the same - 3 points
- Answer: C - I carefully measure each portion according to need - 5 points
How do you manage your food inventory?
- Answer: A - I keep a detailed log of what comes in and out and how long it’s been stored for - 5 points
- Answer: B - I just keep an eye on what’s in storage, and do an occasional clear-out - 3 points
What do you do with any food waste?
- Answer: B - I compost food waste on site - 5 points
- Answer: C - I throw it in a dedicated food bin for collection - 3 points
When sourcing produce and food suppliers do you:
- Answer: A - Base your decision on the best quality you can get, and local if possible - 3 points
- Answer: C - Always go with local suppliers to reduce transport needs - 5 points
When choosing which food and produce supplier to go with, do you:
- Answer: B - Go with the supplier with the most sustainable and environmentally efficient policies - 5 points
- Answer: C - Choose a supplier who produce the best quality, with food sustainability practices as a second priority - 3 points
When creating or providing food packaging or utensils, do you:
- Answer: A - Make sure to only use recyled or tecyclable materials, and avoid plastic - 5 points
- Answer: C - Prioritise aesthetics and usability, but also consider sustainability if possible - 3 points
When approaching staff food handling training, do you:
- Answer: A - Enforce rigorous food hygiene routines - 5 points
- Answer: B - Make sure they follow some basic rules - 3 points
How much food waste do you think the UK produces each year?
- Answer: B - 2 million tonnes - 3 points
- Answer: C - 10 million tonnes - 5 points
When it comes to your business' reputation, how important is sustainability and environmental ethics?
- Answer: B - It's just as important to our customers and quality and good service - 5 points
- Answer: C - It can help to show that you're responsible, but it's not essential - 3 points
How much of an effect do you think food waste has on man-made climate change?
- Answer: A - Four times as much greenhouse emissions as aviation - 5 points
- Answer: C - About the same as road transport emissions - 3 points
How did you do?
Find out your sustainability score with our ranking.
- Scored 38 or higher? - Congratulations! You’re making sustainability a top business priority, and you’re aware of the huge effect food waste is having on the environment.
- Scored between 25 and 37? Well done! You’re making good efforts to make your food business sustainable and environmentally ethical, and you’ve got a good grasp of the importance of food waste.
- Scored 24 or lower? It seems there’s a lot more you could be doing to make sustainability and food waste management a business priority. You should really find out more about how much of an impact food waste is having on the environment, and how it adversely affects your business.
20% off Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering | Was £15 - Now £12
Aimed at anyone working in catering or hospitality, whether employed or self-employed, working in restaurants, hotels, fast food outlets, takeaways, cafes, bars, kitchens, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges. It allows every catering business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
30% off Food Allergy Awareness | Was £15 - Now £10.50
There is no known cure for a food allergy and consumers haveto avoid the food or ingredient to prevent reactions to the allergenic food.For some, only a trace of the allergenic food may be needed. Symptoms can rangefrom mild to serious and for some consumers can be life threatening. The courseis aimed at food handlers and anyone working in a role that involves contactwith food, or the management of such people.
40% off Level 3 Food Safety and Hygiene for Supervisors | Was £125 - Now £75
Level 3 Supervising Food Safety training from Virtual College enables candidates to identify problems and to recommend solutions within food preparation and delivery areas. It is ideally suited to people who are responsible for supervising other members of staff, such as team leaders and managers across all sectors including manufacturing, catering and retail.