We have worked in partnership with SelfharmUK to create this free online course designed to help parents talk about the issue of self-harm with their children.
This course is ideal for parents who are seeking knowledge about potential self-harm and how to talk to their children about this, or who is aware that their children are self-harming and are looking for support on dealing with this.
- Compassionate handling of a sensitive subject
- No distressing images are shown
- Video content with real-life testimonials
- Complete in one hour
- 24 hour learner support
We have worked in partnership with SelfharmUK to create a free online course designed to help parents talk about the issue of self-harm with their children.
Thousands of children and young people in the UK are thought to be impacted by self-harm each year. Spotting the signs can be difficult, and approaching the subject with your children can be an uncomfortable experience.
This online course, ‘Talking to your children about emotional resilience and self-harm’, has been designed to provide you with a basic awareness of the subject to help you approach your children with confidence about the issue.
This course will be of interest to professionals working with children but is not a replacement for a full training course; Find out more about professional training around self-harm here.
Why take this course?
The content of this e-learning course includes:
- An introduction to issues around self-harm.
- Self-harm and emotional resilience: someone’s ability to adapt to stressful situations or crises.
- Knowing what self-harm is and why young people might do it.
- What does self-harm include?
- The additional pressures of being a parent of a teenage child
- What makes young people vulnerable to self-harming behaviour?
- Understanding ways to support a young person who is self-harming.
- Methods of communication.
- Practical hints and steps for improving communication.
- Distractions from self-harm.
- Myths and facts.
- Dos and don’ts: what NOT to do.
- Links to external resources.
- A ‘safe space’ throughout the course if you need a break from the online content.
- We do not show any distressing images.
After taking this course, parents will:
- Know what self-harm is and why young people may do it.
- Know what makes young people vulnerable to self-harming behaviour.
- Understand on what ways you can support a young person who is self-harming.
This course is accredited by CPD and a self-assessment record can be downloaded if required
Approximately 30-45 minutes to complete. As an e-learning course you can complete this training in convenient stages. The system will record your progress throughout.
This course is ideal for parents who are seeking knowledge about potential self-harm and how to talk to their children about this, or who are aware that their children are self-harming and are looking for support on dealing with this.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Test and certificate
There is no test for this course.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need an e-mail address to complete this course?
Yes, you will need an e-mail address to complete this course. This is because we use your e-mail address to create an account for you in our learning management system - where you will take the training. We also need your email address to send your purchase receipt.
If you buy more courses in future using the same e-mail address during checkout, then these will automatically be added to your system account.
Will the course work on a tablet or mobile phone?
We recommend using a desktop or laptop for the best learning experience. This course can also be taken on tablet and mobile devices - including iPads and iPhones.
Is a specific internet browser recommended?
For the best possible experience, we recommend learners use Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox. Please ensure there are no updates pending on your browser.
How long do learners have to complete a course?
There is no set completion time for this course. Learners can study in their own time at their own speed and may pause, leave and come back to the system to continue the training at any time.
Does the course contain sound?
Yes, this course contains sound. For those without sound on their computer or device, the narration is covered in an optional text box at the bottom of the training.
How long is the certificate valid for?
There is no set time for how long this certificate is valid for. It is generally recognised that certificates are renewed every three years.