Overview - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Awareness
Research shows that people are happier and more productive in an environment in which they feel they can be themselves without fear of harassment or abuse, and although society as a whole is becoming more tolerant of a diversity of sexual orientations, homophobia is still ingrained in many institutions and communities. This continues to have an extremely negative affect on the lives of LGBT people.
As a result, this e-learning module has been developed to help raise awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans issues, including the differences between sexual orientation and gender identity. It has been designed to challenge people’s views, raise awareness of LGBT issues and outline how LGBT issues relate to a study and work environment.
On completion of this course learners will:
- Understand the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity
- Understand the diversity of sexual orientation
- Understand some of the ways in which prejudice and discrimination can be directed towards people of differing sexual orientations
- Understand the effects that homophobia, biphobia and heterosexism can have on LGB people
- Understand the equality legislation in relation to sexual orientation
- Understand how LGB awareness can help to create a more welcoming and productive study or work environment, or in the community
- Understand the effects that transphobia can have on trans people
- Understand prejudice and discrimination in relation to trans people
- Understand equality legislation in relation to trans
Areas covered include:
- Welcome and Learning Objectives
- Part 1a: The Diversity of Sexual Orientation
- Part 1b: Prejudice and Discrimination Towards Sexual Orientation
- Part 1c: The Effects of Homophobia, Biphobia and Heterosexism
- Part 1d: Sexual Orientation Legislation
- Part 1e: Good Practice Points
- Part 2: Trans Awareness Summary
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 - 3 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
This module is aimed at individuals who are studying in educational institutions, such as schools, colleges and universities. It is also relevant for people in the workplace and anybody who would like to know more about LBGT issues.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
How it Works
This is an online course which is studied via the Virtual College Learning Management System, Enable. All of the training is taken online. The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can also revisit the training material, even after you have completed the course.
Four easy steps to e-learning
Step 1: Find a course
You can buy one or more courses online for yourself or others and, whether you know what you’d like to study or would simply like to browse, finding a course is easy.
Here are some ways you can quickly find the information you need:
- Search for a course using search box
- Click "courses" on the top navigation. This page will show a complete list of courses, ordered by our best sellers and new releases
- Browse courses by category, for example Safeguarding
Step 2: Buy the course
When you've found the course you want simply click on “Add to basket”. You can then continue shopping or check out and make a secure payment via the PayPal payment screen. This allows you to pay with most popular credit or debit cards or your PayPal account, and receive your receipt by email.
All our payments are dealt with by PayPal; one of the world’s most well-known payment providers – Great Britain’s no 1 preferred online and mobile payment method, so you can be sure that your payment will be safe and secure. Here at Virtual College we never even get to see your credit card details!
Once your purchase has gone through you will be able to continue to a login screen. Enter your name and create a password if prompted. This will log you into our Learning Management System (LMS) where you will be able to take the course or allocate it to other people.
You can purchase more than 10 courses online, however if you wish to purchase more than 10 courses, and you would like to be invoiced in advance, you can e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our sales team on 01943 885 085.
Step 3: Take the course
For the best possible internet browser experience we recommend you use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox.
You will get a better learner experience if you have sound enabled. Most computers come with built-in speakers, but the narration will generally be written in text on the screen for you to read if you don't have sound turned on.
The course is interactive and you may need to click on parts of the screen before you can advance. This will be obvious as the narration and text will tell you what to do or the links will pulse and flash. The system will remember where you left off and take you back there, but you can go over any part of it as many times as you want to and take as long as you want.
You can write your own notes for the course and print them off or simply store them to access later any time you view your course.
When you get to the end, you will be presented with an assessment to check your understanding. Don't worry; in most cases you can take this assessment three times at no extra cost, and we have policies and procedures in place for adding further attempts.
Step 4: Your certificate
You will be able to print your own certificate at the end of the course.
Some courses also include the option of a high-quality posted certificate, for example our Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene courses.
A bulk discount structure applies for this course based on the quantity you buy and is calculated automatically during checkout.
- 10% discount on 10 - 49 courses
- 20% discount on 50 + courses
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please email email@example.com or call our sales team on 01943 885 085.