Last updated: 30.01.13

Essex County Council set to improve business training

Essex County Council (EEC) has announced it is making funding available for improving local business training.

The body has already rolled out support to 100 firms through the Skills for Economic Growth scheme, which allows companies to select a learning course for their employees that they think will help them to develop and grow.

Money has been put aside to serve more organisations with less than 250 members of staff and that operate in the advanced manufacturing and electronics, construction, financial, life sciences, renewable energy, technology or transport and logistics sectors. In addition, they must be located in the county and all Southend, Thurrock and London boroughs are excluded from the initiative.

Any businesses that are seeking to discuss their education options in further depth are also able to receive specialist support from representatives in their industry.

Graeme Barker, councillor for Uttlesford District, is urging local companies to apply for the funding, as it can be used to cover 70 per cent of training costs and firms need only pay the remaining 30 per cent and any VAT that is due.

He added: "This is a chance for Dunmow to make ourselves cash rich because we can't rely on state money. The more we get to help the local economy, the better."

Some of the modules on offer include accredited training about the Green Deal, ILM Level 3 in Leadership and Management and Prince2 Practitioner.

All courses must be underway by March 31st and completed within two years from the start date, while firms must wait until they have received approval from ECC before committing to the learning.

According to county councillor Stephen Castle, the scheme has been popular with a number of small and medium-sized enterprises in Essex and training courses can make a real difference to employees.

He concluded: "The leaders of our Essex businesses know what will work best for them, which is why such a flexible scheme could be such a great benefit to our businesses and overall, the Essex economy."