Overview - Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Manufacturing (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
We have introduced a self-print certificate for this course, allowing us to offer it at a reduced cost to you. The course material and learning outcomes are exactly the same, and it is still an accredited City & Guilds certificate.
If you would prefer a premium foil stamped certificate posted to you this is still available for an additional charge.
Try online - Buy online - Learn online - Test online
EU Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs requires Food Businesses to make sure that any staff who handles food are supervised, instructed and trained in Food Hygiene in a way that is appropriate to the work they do.
This module is a self-study course (formerly known as Foundation or Basic Food Hygiene) and maps Industry Standards in Food Safety and Hygiene as published by Improve Ltd, the Sector Skills Council for the Food and Drink Manufacturing Industry in the UK. This course will benefit anyone working in food processing, manufacturing, food assembly, packing and food storage. It allows every manufacturing business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
This course is accredited by City & Guilds
- Virtual College are a City and Guilds Accredited centre.
- City and Guilds have accredited our L2 Food Safety and Hygiene certificates
- Our price includes a City and Guilds Accredited Certificate.
- City and Guilds approved quality assurance of our online delivery processes and learner support systems.
- Quality City & Guilds Accredited Certificate carrying authorisation seal.
Upon completion of this online training material learners will sit an online test and on successful completion, will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene meeting the legal training required, which must then be applied to work situations.
The training and test usually take between 2 to 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed), which is equivalent to 6 hours face-to-face group training. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test 3 times at no extra cost, having revisited the training material. If learners have not achieved the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting Learner Support. For posted certificates, if completed successfully Monday-Friday before 12:00 midnight, certificate will be posted the next day. Weekend completers will have their certificates posted on Monday.
Produced by Virtual College in association with Food Safety experts "Food Dialog" a registered Training Centre with the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) we have made every effort to make the training friendly, understandable and as down to earth as possible.
On completion of this course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene practices
- How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based Food Safety Management System
Upon completion of this module learners will have an understanding of a wide range of key food safety issues, including the three main types of food safety hazard, their sources and methods of control. Learners will know the correct temperatures needed for storage and food handling activities from raw material and goods inwards through manufacturing, packing and distribution to customers, and be aware of common food pests and how to control them, along with the principles of cleaning and disinfection and how these apply to the workplace.
The sections covered include:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been processed or manufactured.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness – looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law – food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination – exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control - how to manufacture and preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene – this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – covering hand washing, health, first aid. protective clothing and appearance.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment – this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
This course is accredited by City & Guilds.
Note, this course is an accredited training programme, should you require a full qualification you will be required to undertake an additional assessment by visiting an accredited test centre at an additional cost.
When you have successfully completed your course and attained the 75% required test pass, you will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Certificate. Our Certificates are of extremely high quality and carry an authorisation seal. The certificate should be displayed to show appropriate training has taken place.
Approximately 2-3 hours to complete. As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages. The system will record your progress throughout.
This Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing module is aimed at anyone working in a manufacturing or processing environment, small or large, which could include food factories, meat cutting plants, dry goods and vegetable packing, dairies, breweries and bottling plants.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
How it Works
This is an online course which is studied via the Virtual College Learning Management System, Enable. All of the training is taken online. The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can also revisit the training material, even after you have completed the course.
Four easy steps to e-learning
Step 1: Find a course
You can buy one or more courses online for yourself or others and, whether you know what you’d like to study or would simply like to browse, finding a course is easy.
Here are some ways you can quickly find the information you need:
- Search for a course using search box
- Click "courses" on the top navigation. This page will show a complete list of courses, ordered by our best sellers and new releases
- Browse courses by category, for example Safeguarding
Step 2: Buy the course
When you've found the course you want simply click on “Add to basket”. You can then continue shopping or check out and make a secure payment via the PayPal payment screen. This allows you to pay with most popular credit or debit cards or your PayPal account, and receive your receipt by email.
All our payments are dealt with by PayPal; one of the world’s most well-known payment providers – Great Britain’s no 1 preferred online and mobile payment method, so you can be sure that your payment will be safe and secure. Here at Virtual College we never even get to see your credit card details!
Once your purchase has gone through you will be able to continue to a login screen. Enter your name and create a password if prompted. This will log you into our Learning Management System (LMS) where you will be able to take the course or allocate it to other people.
You can purchase more than 10 courses online, however if you wish to purchase more than 10 courses, and you would like to be invoiced in advance, you can e-mail us on email@example.com or contact our sales team on 01943 885 085.
Step 3: Take the course
For the best possible internet browser experience we recommend you use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox.
You will get a better learner experience if you have sound enabled. Most computers come with built-in speakers, but the narration will generally be written in text on the screen for you to read if you don't have sound turned on.
The course is interactive and you may need to click on parts of the screen before you can advance. This will be obvious as the narration and text will tell you what to do or the links will pulse and flash. The system will remember where you left off and take you back there, but you can go over any part of it as many times as you want to and take as long as you want.
You can write your own notes for the course and print them off or simply store them to access later any time you view your course.
When you get to the end, you will be presented with an assessment to check your understanding. Don't worry; in most cases you can take this assessment three times at no extra cost, and we have policies and procedures in place for adding further attempts.
Step 4: Your certificate
If you have chosen the self-print option, then upon successfully completing your course, your certificate will be available to print online through the Learning Management System.
If you have chosen the posted option, we will post out your certificate to you first class within one working day. Our posted certificates are of extremely high quality, carry an authorisation seal and will be pre-printed with your name.
We recommend that your certificate is displayed prominently as this helps your customers and officials know that you have completed a quality training course.
A bulk discount structure applies for this course based on the quantity you buy and is calculated automatically during checkout.
- 10% discount on 10 - 49 courses
- 20% discount on 50 + courses
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our sales team on 01943 885 085.