Overview - Level 1 Food Safety and Hygiene
Please Note: Level 1 is an introductory course which is not suitable for food handlers. In order to meet legal requirements it is necessary for food handlers to complete the Level 2 (previously known as Basic) Food Safety and Hygiene Course.
This introductory (Level 1) food hygiene course will give you an understanding of the necessary steps to undertake whilst preparing food at home. Whilst not suitable for anyone working directly in a food environment the course may be used as an introduction to the subject for younger children and people with an interest in preparing food safely for a family. As an e-learning course, it is ideal for use in schools, in addition to a regular curriculum.
If you are involved (or are going to be involved) with food preparation in a catering, manufacturing or retail capacity, whether paid or voluntary, you will need to undertake Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene training. Please click here to view the Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Catering or on the related products tab above for more information about our Level 2 courses.
Successful completion of this module will enable you to understand:
- How to keep yourself clean and hygienic
- How to keep your work area clean
- How food becomes contaminated and your role in reducing contamination
The course is divided into sections that cover the following subjects:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used; here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Why Food Safety is important – This section looks at the consequences of poor food safety and hygiene and causes of food borne illness.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination – This section explores contamination of food by food safety hazards; what they are, where and how they arise and the practical activities to prevent and control hazards.
- Personal hygiene – This section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – from cleanliness, thorough hand washing and keeping a clean and tidy appearance.
- Hygienic premises and Equipment – This section looks at the importance of keeping everything clean and tidy, such as good housekeeping, cleaning and maintaining pest free conditions.
All Virtual College e-learning courses can be paused and resumed at any point.
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
This online course is aimed at people who display an interest in the subject area and is suitable for anyone looking to improve their knowledge of food hygiene in a domestic environment.
If you are working with, or intend to work with food, you will need Level 2 Food Hygiene training. For more information on the Level 2 courses available please click on the course titles below:
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Catering (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Manufacturing (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Retail (including City and Guilds Accredited Certificate)
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
How it Works
This is an online course which is studied via the Virtual College Learning Management System, Enable. All of the training is taken online. The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can also revisit the training material, even after you have completed the course.
Four easy steps to e-learning
Step 1: Find a course
You can buy one or more courses online for yourself or others and, whether you know what you’d like to study or would simply like to browse, finding a course is easy.
Here are some ways you can quickly find the information you need:
- Search for a course using search box
- Click "courses" on the top navigation. This page will show a complete list of courses, ordered by our best sellers and new releases
- Browse courses by category, for example Safeguarding
Step 2: Buy the course
When you've found the course you want simply click on “Add to basket”. You can then continue shopping or check out and make a secure payment via the PayPal payment screen. This allows you to pay with most popular credit or debit cards or your PayPal account, and receive your receipt by email.
All our payments are dealt with by PayPal; one of the world’s most well-known payment providers – Great Britain’s no 1 preferred online and mobile payment method, so you can be sure that your payment will be safe and secure. Here at Virtual College we never even get to see your credit card details!
Once your purchase has gone through you will be able to continue to a login screen. Enter your name and create a password if prompted. This will log you into our Learning Management System (LMS) where you will be able to take the course or allocate it to other people.
You can purchase more than 10 courses online, however if you wish to purchase more than 10 courses, and you would like to be invoiced in advance, you can e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our sales team on 01943 885 085.
Step 3: Take the course
For the best possible internet browser experience we recommend you use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox.
You will get a better learner experience if you have sound enabled. Most computers come with built-in speakers, but the narration will generally be written in text on the screen for you to read if you don't have sound turned on.
The course is interactive and you may need to click on parts of the screen before you can advance. This will be obvious as the narration and text will tell you what to do or the links will pulse and flash. The system will remember where you left off and take you back there, but you can go over any part of it as many times as you want to and take as long as you want.
You can write your own notes for the course and print them off or simply store them to access later any time you view your course.
When you get to the end, you will be presented with an assessment to check your understanding. Don't worry; in most cases you can take this assessment three times at no extra cost, and we have policies and procedures in place for adding further attempts.
Step 4: Your certificate
You will be able to print your own certificate at the end of the course.
Some courses also include the option of a high-quality posted certificate, for example our Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene courses.
A bulk discount structure applies for this course based on the quantity you buy and is calculated automatically during checkout.
- 10% discount on 10 - 49 courses
- 20% discount on 50 + courses
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please email email@example.com or call our sales team on 01943 885 085.