The Level 1 Food Hygiene course is a great way to introduce beginners to food safety. This may include cooking at home, work experience in a food environment, or self-development for those who have an interest in food handling.
Upon completion of this course, learners will understand why food safety is important, the importance of hygiene, and how to avoid contamination.
- Online, self-paced training
- Interactive course with colourful animations
- Complete in two hours
- 24 hour learner support
- Instant digital certificate on completion
This Level 1 Food Safety and Hygiene e-learning course is designed to introduce the basic principles of food safety and hygiene to anyone who is a beginner in an environment where food may be prepared or stored.
Why take this Level 1 Food Hygiene course?
This course may be used as an introduction to the subject for children and people with an interest in preparing food safely for a family. It is ideal for use in schools, in addition to a regular curriculum, and for students prior to taking work experience in a food environment.
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to understand how to keep clean and hygienic, how to keep their work area clean, how food becomes contaminated and the steps in preventing contamination. Please note, in order to meet legal requirements it is necessary for food handlers to complete the Level 2 (previously known as Basic) Food Safety and Hygiene Course.
E-learning course content
The content of this e-learning course includes:
- An introduction to food safety and hygiene
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination
- Why Food Safety is important
- Personal Hygiene
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment
By the end of the course learners will:
- Understand food safety terms commonly used when discussing industry practise
- Understand the consequences of poor food safety and hygiene
- Know about practical activities to prevent and control hazards.
- Understand why personal hygiene is so important
- Be able to keep surfaces and equipment hygienically clean
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Approximately one to two hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. Learners can proceed as quickly or slowly as they like.
Test and certificate
The end of course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test three times at no extra cost.
If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.
Do you need Level 2 training?
If you are involved (or are going to be involved) with food preparation in a catering, manufacturing or retail capacity, you will need to undertake Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene training. Click the links below to see these courses.
- Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering
- Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing
- Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Retail
If you are a manager or supervisor in a food business, you should do Level 3 Food Safety and Hygiene for Supervisors.