This food allergy and food hygiene training is made up of two food safety courses, Food Allergy Awareness and Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering. It is aimed at food handlers working in a catering environment, such as cafés, restaurants or takeaways.
Learners are introduced to the fourteen common food allergens and the importance of handling food containing allergens carefully. The training also satisfies a food handlers legal obligation to undertake appropriate food safety training.
- Meet the UK training requirements for food handlers
- Online, self-paced training
- Interactive courses with colourful animations
- Complete in three to five hours
- 24 hour learner support
- Instant digital certificates on completion
Why take this Food Allergy Awareness and Level 2 Food Hygiene Training?
If you own, manage or work in a food related business, you will be affected and will need to ensure your operation is compliant with EU Food Information Regulation No. 1169/2011 (FIR) / Food Information for Consumers Regulation (FIC). These regulations affect all caterers and food service organisations, no matter how big or small, and require food businesses to provide allergy information on unpackaged and pre-packed foods.
As a business owner or food handler, you also have a duty to comply with the provisions of Regulation (EC) 852/2004 of the European Parliament on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs, the Food Safety Act 1990, and Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2005. This requires Food Businesses to ensure that food handlers are supervised, instructed and trained in food hygiene and food safety in a way that is appropriate to the work they do and enables them to handle food safely and hygienically.
Food Allergy Awareness e-learning content
The Food Allergy Awareness course contains the following e-learning:
- An introduction to food allergy awareness - This module introduces learners to the objectives of this course and the skills they will gain upon completion.
- What is a food allergy? - This section looks at what food allergens are and how to recognise symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Legislation - This section explores the fourteen allergens listed by law that food handlers need to recognise. Learners will find out what ingredients and examples of food can cause allergies and what labelling is required on pre-packed food.
- Practical Process - This module looks at things learners need to consider to keep consumers safe, how they can provide allergen information specific to your food business and how they can safely prepare and store or package food without cross contamination.
Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering e-learning content:
The Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering course contains the following e-learning
- An introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene - In this introduction learners will look at and learn how popular terms relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- The Effect of Food-Borne Illness - Looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they may impact us from a personal and legal responsibility.
- Food Law - Food often has a long journey from growth and harvesting, through to delivery and preparation and finally through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and food safety.
- Hazards and Contamination - How food becomes contaminated, exploring food safety hazards and hygiene risks and how they arise or how they may be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Food Storage and Temperature Control - How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage.
- Personal Hygiene - This section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food hygiene in catering. From hand washing, health, first aid, protective clothing and appearance.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment - This section looks at what part the premises and equipment design play in maintaining hygienic, pest-free conditions for food caterers.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - It is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section explains how to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based Food Safety Management System.
The content of the Food Allergy Awareness training course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
The content of the Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Catering course is accredited by City & Guilds.
The Food Allergy Awareness course usually takes between one and two hours to complete.
The Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering course usually takes between two and three hours to complete.
Learners do not have to complete all the training in one session as progress is recorded throughout and the training can be paused and resumed in our learning management system at any time.
This training package is aimed at food handlers and anyone working in a role that involves contact with food, or the management of such people. The course can be used either as Induction, Awareness, Refresher or Foundation Training.
There are no entry requirements for taking this training.
End of course tests
The Food Allergy Awareness course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test three times at no extra cost.
The Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for Catering course test consists of 30 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test three times at no extra cost.
If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion of each course. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.
The certificate awarded on successful completion of the Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering course includes a City & Guilds embossed seal.
Frequently asked questions
How does the training work?
This training consists of two online courses which you (or your learners) can complete on your computer, tablet or mobile device anywhere there is an internet connection.
The courses consist of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk learners through the lesson material. Pages may include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help learners keep in touch and interested in the material. Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be paused and resumed at any stage.
The training is self-paced so learners decide how fast or slow the training goes. There is no deadline for completion but each course does have a test at the end to check that learners have understood the material. Once learners have passed the test they are awarded a certificate.
Do I need an e-mail address to buy this training?
Yes, you will need an e-mail address to buy this training. This is because we use your e-mail address to create an account for you in our learning management system - where you will take the courses. We also need your email address to send your purchase receipt.
If you buy more courses in future using the same e-mail address during checkout, then these will automatically be added to your system account.
If you pay by PayPal, we will use your PayPal email address to create your system account.
Can I buy this training and give it to other people?
Yes, you can buy the training using your own email address and then give it to other learners from your system account.
Each learner will need to have their own email address. This is so that we can send them a link to the training and give them their own system account.
Is there a refund policy?
We want you to be completely satisfied with your training. We offer a 30 day, no hassle, no quibble, money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
To request a refund, you should email our learner support team with your receipt stating why you would like to be reimbursed. You, or your learners, must not complete the training in order to make a valid refund claim.
Will the training work on a tablet or mobile phone?
We recommend using a desktop or laptop for the best learning experience. This training can also be taken on tablet and mobile devices - including iPads and iPhones.
Is a specific internet browser recommended?
For the best possible experience, we recommend learners use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox. Please ensure there are no updates pending on your browser.
How long do learners have to complete a course?
There is no set completion time for a course. Learners can study in their own time at their own speed and may pause, leave and come back to the system to continue the training at any time.
Do the courses contain sound?
Yes, these courses contain sound. For those without sound on their computer or device, the narration is covered in an optional text box at the bottom of the training.
How long are these certificates valid for?
There is no set time for how long the certificates are valid for. It is generally recognised that both Food Allergy and Food Hygiene certificates are renewed every three years, however some employers may require you to renew your certification every year.
What is the difference between Level 1, 2 and 3 Food Safety and Hygiene?
An introductory, or Level 1 course will give you the necessary understanding of preparing food at home but is unfortunately not suitable for working directly in a food environment.
A Level 2 Food course meets the UK training requirements for food handlers to undertake appropriate food safety training.
A Level 3 Food Safety and Hygiene course is suitable for those who are responsible for the supervision of other members of staff who are handling, preparing or storing food across manufacturing, catering and retail industries.
Bulk discounts are available on purchases of 10 or more courses.
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please call our sales team on 01943 885 085 to make an enquiry.